Sunday, June 1, 2008

You can't fool a three-year-old!

I guess it's a good thing I work in the nursery because otherwise I wouldn't have anything to blog about on Sunday. Today I had a plan for our coloring activity to go with our lesson, but when I got right down to doing it at 8:00 this morning I didn't have all the supplies I needed. I decided we would just have the kids "draw" pictures of what they could see because the lesson was "I am thankful for my eyes" however I didn't get any drawing paper and we were running out of time so I just decided to skip coloring all together.

It was time for the parents to come and I got out the bubbles to entertain the kids until mom or dad arrived. Immediately one little girl got very distraught and said "We didn't get to color. I want to color." It became very obvious the longer she spoke and the sadder she got that the main reason she came to nursery was to color and she felt that she had been cheated. I told her "O.K. You can color." and got a container of crayons. I looked around for something for her to draw on hoping to find it before she totally fell apart. I couldn't find any paper but I found a paper towel and got her settled at the table with the crayons and "paper". Then I went back to help the other kids get ready to go. All of the sudden I heard an irate "THIS IS NOT PAPER! IT'S NOT PAPER! THIS IS A PAPER TOWEL!!" and with a flourish the towel went sailing off the table and she burst into tears all the time repeating "It's a paper towel. A paper towel. It's a towel!" I dug through my bag and managed to find a piece of paper and she decided I had not intentionally deceived her and perhaps she would forgive me. She even gave me a hug when she left as she happily showed her mom the picture she had drawn on her plain, white, PIECE OF PAPER.

No comments: