Saturday, June 7, 2008

Baby Blankie has seen better days

Ever since my second daughter was born, she has been quite attached to her blankets. The first one she loved, I made for her. It had baby Minnie and baby Daisy with a pale purple polka dot background. She took it everywhere with her until she was about 18 months old. That was when she decided to put it under the Christmas tree in a box on our driveway that was waiting for a second hand store pick up. It wasn't until after it disappeared that we figured out this story from her limited vocabulary. No more blankie.

Next came the one that she still uses today. It started out cream colored with pink antique toys on it. Her Grandma Johnson made it for her. It has been with her in all the important places she has visited. It's even been places I haven't been, like Hawaii. I use to steal it while she was asleep and then while she was at school (when she hadn't stuck it in her back pack) so it got washed occasionally. When we got ready to leave for California this morning, there was baby blankie ready for a new adventure, although it's been to California quite a few times before. I hadn't really seen the blankie since she moved to her apartment and although I knew it was on it's last legs I was sad to see how far it has fallen. There hasn't been a recognizable pattern on it for a long time but now it is so gray and thread bare you wouldn't be able to see it if there was. I guess since she is going to be 20 quite soon it deserves to be a little worn out. It has had all the color and stuffing loved right out of it. I'm glad she's had it to help her feel safe and secure all her life

No comments: