Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Crying on the beach

A bunch of us went down to the beach this afternoon to enjoy the sun and the surf. I was reading a book that my oldest daughter had recommended called "Magic Hour" by Kristin Hannah and enjoying it quite a bit. She had already warned me that it was going to make me cry and that I would know when to do it. The closer I got to that moment that I knew was coming, the more I tried to talk myself out of it. I already thought I had figured out what was going to happen, but I had also figured out how the problem was going to resolve its self. I kept telling myself that it was going to turn out fine and that I didn't need to sob. Well, just as I finally realized that the tears were going to run regardless, all of my companions decided it was time to pack up and leave the beach. I wanted to finish my book. I was so close to the end. I told them to go ahead and I'd be up in a little while. They all loaded up all their stuff and headed out just as I burst into tears. I wonder how many people around me on the beach thought I was crying because I had been abandoned. I was going to tell you if I was right about how the book ended, but I guess if you really care you'll have to read it yourself. Anyway, I had a good cry, whatever the reason.

No comments: