Monday, May 28, 2012

American Creme Oreos

When I went to the store last week I was excited to discover that Nabisco has taken a step to help my family's Memorial day tradition seem a little more patriotic and fitting for the occasion.  There on the shelf was a package of  limited edition American Creme Oreos.


How patriotic is that?  Of course those Oreos had to come home with me in preparation for the upcoming holiday.

Today I took my required "Oreo Day" photo.

Notice how I worked hard to get the reflection of the flag in my picture.  Double points for patriotism!
Then I ripped open the package and sampled the cookies.

While I give Nabisco a high five for a fun idea, the end result wasn't all I had hoped for.  The hubby's first question was "Where's the white stripe?" So I ask, "Why no white stripe?" I do think all 3 colors found in the flag would have added to the filling and made it look truly American.

 I also have never been a big fan of the golden Oreos.  I would have preferred the traditional "chocolate" Oreo encasing.  I wonder who decided that "American Oreos" should be light and not dark?  Probably in our overly politically correct society there should be versions of both colors and several hues in between.  

Happy Oreo Day to my kids!  I hope you managed to find some kind of Oreo to partake of today.  I also hope you took a few minutes to ponder the sacrifice of  those who paid the ultimate price so we can live in a free country where I can discuss the color of cookies without fear of being labeled a subversive and being thrown into prison or transported to a really cold place. (Perhaps I have been reading a few too many books about the Soviet Union under Stalin rule recently).

Today I am thankful

that I was born an American.
for those men and women who gave their lives so I can enjoy the freedoms I enjoy here.
for unusually moderate temperatures that made being outside today enjoyable.



6 comments:

Watson Family said...

Your posts always make me smile! :) I couldn't agree more about the chocolate vs golden cookies too!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the golden oreos. I much prefer chocolate oreos

Becky and Ben said...

I thought the birthday cake ones (or whatever flavor it was) looked yummy. But I can't buy any kind of Oreos, especially the chocolate ones. Then I eat them all and hate myself.

missykac said...

You always manage to make me laugh and sometimes cry at the same time with your "spot on" blog posts. You did an wonderful job of the picture! I didn't know they had American Oreos. Thanks for sharing them with me. The last ones I saw were the sunshine ones with yellow creme filling. White on the outside. Didn't taste them - gave them to a sick friend for the sunshine get-well wish on the bottom of a balloon bouquet. Love how you honored Memorial Day. You are so awesomely creative. Glad I'm related to YOU!

missykac said...

You always manage to make me laugh and sometimes cry at the same time with your "spot on" blog posts. You did an wonderful job of the picture! I didn't know they had American Oreos. Thanks for sharing them with me. The last ones I saw were the sunshine ones with yellow creme filling. White on the outside. Didn't taste them - gave them to a sick friend for the sunshine get-well wish on the bottom of a balloon bouquet. Love how you honored Memorial Day. You are so awesomely creative. Glad I'm related to YOU!

JulieBees said...

Cuteeeee, just ran across this post looking for pictures of this cookie! haha, you took a good one!

I agree the chocolate > golden, lol, but it's golden because it's supposed to be "white". Hence, your missing white stripe is the cookie itself!

Yes, in the cream would have been a better idea since I too like the chocolate more than the golden graham cracker (and golden is not very white), but there's no black on the American flag either ;) Oh well.