Sunday, June 22, 2008

Interesting statistics

My school teacher daughter is taking an online class this summer. She shared these statistics with me from a book she was reading and I found them very interesting.

Research indicates that when we learn something new, we will remember:

10 percent of what we read
20 percent of what we hear
30 percent of what we see
50 percent of what we see and hear
55 percent of what we see and take notes on
70 percent of what we discuss with others
80 percent of what we personally experience
85 percent of what we see, take notes on, and review within five hours
95 percent of what we teach others

I was thinking about this today as it pertains to what we get out of our church meetings. I often feel that I attend church and get all motivated and enlightened, just to go home and continue to do what I've always done. For a while I was really good at taking notes during Sacrament meeting and the classes I attended. I guess that would give me a little more than a 50/50 chance of remembering what I learned (if the teacher used visual aids). Perhaps if I took notes and then reviewed them when I got home my chances of making a real change would increase by the same amount as the statistics show my memory of the information would increase. These statistics definitely prove what I have always believed - the teacher always gets more out of the lessons than anyone else does. I guess we should all be grateful for our church teaching opportunities. I would have to say I got more out of the nursery lesson than any of the kids did today, but that could be because they were totally out of control and running around the room while I was trying to teach them. My team-teaching husband ate something that didn't agree with him and he was out in the parking lot throwing up and going home during the lesson time and somehow all the kids knew they had the advantage over me. I guess I need to use more visual aids for the seeing part of learning, but then they all climb all over me and fight to get to be the one to hold the picture. Lesson time is definitely our weak link in the nursery equation, but I'll keep trying. Every once in a while the majority of them sit down and actually listen and that is an amazing experience. I love my calling!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Diane,

I teach the sunbeams at church and I give my lesson while they eat their snack. It works great besides the fact that every minute one of the kids yells out "I want more snack!".