Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Happy Hour(s)

I had a fun day today. I've had a few too many of those lately and my house is beginning to show the effects, but that is beside the point. My oldest daughter felt bad that she missed out on the puzzle-putting-together party, since she was on her belated honeymoon, so she brought a puzzle and came to visit. She and I spent a couple of enjoyable hours completing it.


I wonder who the first person was to print a picture on cardboard and cut it into little pieces just so someone could put it all back together? For anyone who cares, I checked into this on about.com and found out that the first puzzle was created by an Englishman named John Spilsbury in 1767. He was an engraver and a mapmaker. The first jigsaw puzzle was a map of the world. Spilsbury attached a map to a piece of wood and then cut out each country. Teachers used his puzzle to teach geography. Another invention created for a valuable purpose that somehow got turned into a distraction. Puzzles really are kind of silly things and a waste of time, but a whole lot of fun. I'm sure there must be some mental value in putting them together. Don't you think?

Speaking of Happy Hour, I went to Sonic yesterday for my favorite diet coke with whole cherries and they charged be full price even though it was 3:45 PM which should have been Happy Hour - half price drinks. I bought other stuff for the kids so I didn't really realize it until later, but I was really sad that perhaps Happy Hour was a thing of the past. My sons were more than happy to go check it out today and I am pleased to report that Happy Hour is still happening! Puzzling is much more exciting with some liquid refreshment.

No comments: