Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bishop's Night Skit

The other day I got a phone call from the bishop. He was working on the bishopric skit for bishop's night at girl's camp and wasn't having too much success. I guess he asked his wife for help and she suggested that he call me to see if I could be of assistance. Well, he called me and asked me to write a skit for them (his wife insists this isn't what she meant). Since I have always been told to say yes to the bishop, I said, "of course I would do that for you". The idea they had was the bishopric get together in 25 years and talk about what happened to members of the ward, specifically this group of young women. Along with the idea, they gave me a list of 5 things about each girl. The list was brief and pretty general ie. her favorite color is blue and she likes Rocky Road ice cream or extremely vague ie. she owns a peg-o-corn trophy. I think the least they could have done was ask what each girl wanted to be when she grew up to give me an idea of a direction to go. I ended up having one counselor be deaf and hear everything wrong and respond to what he thought he heard, the other counselor was blind but had a great memory and the bishop was senile and thought it was still 2009 instead of 25 years later. I am glad that this was a relatively small group of girls because it took me quite a while to come up with a future for each of them. It ended up being a lot of fun to put together though. One of the counselors called me after he had read through the completed project and told me that he felt I had missed my calling in life. I should have been a writer. I wanted to tell him that if I didn't have so many church callings (that he had personally called me to) I would have the time and energy to pursue my true life's calling, but I didn't. Actually, I am a writer. I write on my blog. I got a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts for my efforts. That might entice me to keep writing.

1 comment:

missykac said...

Good for you! I'd like to read the whole thing. I can't understand how you and Barbara always speak and write so well and it skipped me. I told Mom that this talent must go every other family member. You know, Doug, not me, Barbara, not David(or at least he keeps his comments private most of the time)and then you. Either that or I just get all emotional and no one knows what I'm trying to share. I'm glad you do have that talent and many others that I get to enjoy through your efforts. I bet you were just wondering what to do with your time on the day the bishop called. Isn't it amazing how these opportunities just "pop" up?