Wednesday, June 18, 2008

As fun as the beach?

I just spent approximately what it cost me to go to the beach for a week at my friendly, neighborhood dentist office getting a new crown on my tooth. I'm glad I have good insurance or it would have cost me a lot more! After noting this similarity between the two experiences, I decided to think of some other ways they compare. Chalk this contemplation up to life being pretty boring sitting in a dentist chair for 2 hours.

First of all, I fit about as well in a dentist chair as I fit in a beach chair, however dentist chairs are easier to get out of and they move up and down and recline. Beach chairs can also recline, sometimes by choice and sometimes because of faulty construction.

Both experiences include a bright light shining over my head. At the beach, the light wasn't always visible and it wasn't adjustable. The dentist office light was plenty visible and can be adjusted although it seems that the preferred adjustment is "shining directly in the patients eyes". I think it is actually suppose to shine in my mouth, but my mouth and my eyes must be pretty close together. A plus at the dentist office is that I don't get sunburned if I forget to wear my sun screen, but I did get to see the dental assistant wearing some funky looking "sun" glasses while she blasted ultra violet rays into my mouth at one point.

I think I appreciate the apparel at the dentist to that at the beach. The dental dress code is all about covering up, complete with face mask and latex gloves. The dress code at the beach is usually little more than the equivalent of a face mask and a couple of gloves, strategically placed.

Getting wet is included in both activities and can be unexpected in both cases. While my feet were usually the victims at the beach, my face was definitely the victim at the dentist. The crashing sound of the waves could very easily be compared to the surging sound of water being blasted into my mouth, and they are both a lot louder than I think they should be and tend to easily escape their boundaries.

I think those are most of the comparisons that I came up with. As the actual dental work progressed it became a lot more easily compared to demolition and construction than to a day on the beach. I would most definitely recommend spending your $275 on the week long vacation and not the two hour torture if at all possible.

No comments: