Thursday, June 5, 2008

A cell phone - finally!


The teenage boy has been wanting a cell phone for a long, long time. The past couple of Christmases he has been sure that each package he opened was going to be a cell phone but it never was. I have told him for just about as long that I get to hear his disrespectful comments plenty when we are together. Why would I actually pay to have him call me up and say mean things? All he wanted for his birthday was a cell phone. I tossed the idea back and forth a lot, but finally decided that maybe it would be good to have something he really cares about to take away as punishment. Nothing else I try seems to work, although his behavior has been much improved since he returned from the beach, most likely because he really, really wants a cell phone. This morning I told him I was going to wrap up an empty cell phone box for his birthday so he would get all excited and then be disappointed again, but even I'm not that mean. It did make him a little nervous though when he pulled the box out of the t-mobile bag and there was no phone in it. His dad had it hidden in his pocket. We can't make life too easy for him now can we? It also came with a lot of rules attached. Anyway, he spent the rest of the night texting all his friends to share the exciting news. I'm still trying to decide if unlimited texting is a good thing or not. Maybe we need even more rules than we thought of.

No comments: