Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Sudoku sickness has spread

A couple of years ago my eldest and I discovered Sudoku and I became a little addicted for a while. I got a calendar for Christmas 2006 with a Sudoku a day and I pretty much did one a day for most of 2007. My kids keep me in puzzles now and I go in phases where I Sudoku a lot and then not so much. My habit, at the moment, is to do the puzzle in the paper every morning in pen, which as I have mentioned before is a challenge for me. My oldest son caught the sickness sometime in 2007 and usually has to do one a day. He likes to Sudoku in bed and his brother likes to complain about it. My husband has never been that interested, but on a plane trip to Seattle last December he actually tried to steal my Sudoku book from me. My daughter bought him his own easy Sudoku book for his birthday in April (at his request) and a monster was born.
Now it is hard to find him at home without his Sudoku book in hand. He even took notes for a funeral talk in it because it was the closest paper he could find. If he makes a mistake he says "Oh, I ran into a road block." I try to tell him there are no road blocks thrown into Sudoku puzzles, but the easiest way to start a fight in our home at the moment is for me to comment on his Sudoku ability. He received a few more books for Father's Day along with some special race car pencils to Sudoku with and he was a happy dad. Last night I went into our bedroom and actually caught him doing online Sudoku on the computer. Who would have thought?? Even I haven't got the sickness that bad. Well, today he comes home from work and begins to share his lunch time near catastrophe with me. Guess what it was? He got his lunch, pulled his Sudoku book out of the bag, opened to the page he was on and ... here it is... HIS PENCIL WAS MISSING! I am happy to report it was only a near catastrophe because he managed to finish the half done puzzle in pen without making a mistake. I bet someone would have lent him a pencil if he would have asked, but it probably wouldn't have had race cars on it. Actually, I'm glad he has something to do while I write on my blog. However, this online stuff has got to stop before it interferes with MY computer time. What's next? Is he going to want a blog of his own sometime soon too?

No comments: