Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Sad Truth About Consequences

I knew when my teenage son walked into my bedroom, handed me his cell phone and said, "You're going to want this." that I wasn't going to like his explanation when I asked "Why?" so I didn't ask.

A few minutes passed and then he returned, "The hole in the wall isn't that big and any way I already fixed it." I began to realize I was going to find out whether I asked or not.

Bit by bit the story came together. "We were just playing." "He shot me with a rubber band from point blank range." "I wasn't going to hurt him when I caught him." "He pushed me into the closet and then fell on top of me" "I gently tapped the wall because my jaw hurt."

The 16 year old was bored. He decided it would be fun to bug his older brother. He shot him with a rubber band from across the room. His brother picked up the elastic and came after him. The teenager had his cell phone ready to document the assault so he could get his brother in trouble. The brother knocked the cell phone from his hand and shot him with the rubber band. Of course, cell phone abuse cannot be ignored and the teenager went after the brother and then ran. The brother followed close behind. Little brother was going for the bathroom but didn't quite make it and ended up meeting the linen closet shelf with his cheek. Being a quick thinking boy, the small one got up and punched a hole in the wall. Apparently he thought if his wrist were broken his jaw wouldn't hurt as much. Luckily neither his jaw or wrist was broken, but he does have a manly bruise on his cheek to impress the girls at school. Lucky thing, since he no longer will have a cell phone to impress them with.

The sad truth about consequences is that you have to face them even though you're really, really sorry and you really, really didn't mean for anything bad to happen.

Now, the mom just has to figure out what those consequences should be.

According to the oldest son the hole is about the size of a watermelon.



The younger son says it's more like a bean.


You be the judge.


But, don't forget. It's already fixed!

Today I am thankful

That neither the wrist nor the jaw were broken.
That he punched the wall and not the brother.
That he does realize that what he did was not the best choice.

Since today was Sunday I couldn't buy myself a birthmonth present but I did make some yummy Bavarian Cream Pie that I got to have a piece of. I call that a celebration!

1 comment:

mom of fab five said...

I think the hole is the size of a picture of the temple. Sorry but that just made me laugh. Ah the joys--kinda sounds like my house tonight. We were having scriptures and there was the "discussion" about who was touch who etc etc. Really brings in the spirit with the little bickering. Maybe he was hoping for a broken arm so he would't have to go to marching band? Sound's like that is his punishment--ha ha