Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Another day on the Rez

I spent the day with the oldest daughter again working on her classroom today. I wish I could say that we made major progress, but I think that would probably be a lie. I organized all her teacher books, tore paper and hung it on the walls for bulletin boards, and moved stuff from one spot to another for most of the day.

The daughter's mentor teacher (one of the other 2nd Grade teachers) fell down a hill about a week ago while she was hiking and the doctor told her she had sprained her ankle. She has been hobbling around on crutches trying to get her room set up as well as helping my daugher with her room. The ankle didn't seem to be getting any better so she went back to the doctor today. They took more x-rays and decided that it was broken. She called and said she was waiting to get her cast on and then she would be at the school. We left to go get some lunch and when we got back the message had changed to "I am going to have to have surgery to have a pin put in my ankle and I will be out of school for 4 weeks." Yikes!! The other second grade teacher visited the daughter's classroom every 10 minutes or so for the rest of the day stating how she didn't want to be the teacher in charge in about 100 different ways. I don't know what choice she has. The daughter has never taught 2nd Grade and the sub they are getting is one of the Instructional Assistants from one of the Kindergarten classes. Neither of them are very highly qualified to be the boss.

My niece made the comment that my daughter's classroom looked brand new. This school is a year old and is an interm school while the NEW elementary school gets built. While the building is quite new some of the furniture and supplies look like they have been around since the dark ages. The boys in the family were really impressed with her WWII file cabinet. In this picture it looks kind of dark green, but it is actually army green. They swear there is a cubby inside one of the drawers where you can hide your pistol. I'm not sure that I believe it was involved in the war to end all wars, but the sticker on the front of the drawer does date it back quite a few years. The desks and the chairs are a potpourri of all shapes and sizes and in very limited supply. Each child will have to haul his chair to reading group with him every day.

This building was kind of put up quickly and was not really built to be a school. It is going to be turned into offices as soon as the other school gets completed. It is rather interesting in what it lacks such as ANY real storage and no sink. Each classroom is equipped with a water cooler and paper cups. Just what every school room needs. I'm not sure where you are suppose to wash your hands after a messy project. We definitely won't be making handprint calendars this year. How sad.

I picked the hubby up today when he got off work and we drove into Phoenix to pick up the black car that got towed to the mechanic a couple of days ago. On Friday when he went out to go to work the car just didn't want to start. Come to find out, the brand new fuel pump that got put in a week or so ago was faulty and we needed a new one. Hopefully now it's good for a few more weeks. I am thankful for my cars when they work, but they can be a pain when they don't.

Today I am thankful

that I don't have to start teaching school in a few days.
that I don't have to drive (or sit) in rush hour traffic very often. Why do they call it "rush hour" when it is anything but quick?
that I don't have a broken ankle.

My Happy Birthmonth present today was a new pair of "walking" capris so I can start walking in the mornings again now that school has started and the hubby's car is fixed. They even have pockets to hold a key and my cell phone. This is living!

No comments: