Friday, August 8, 2008

A Politically Incorrect Post

My oldest daughter had "meet the teacher" at her new school today. About half of the class came to meet their new teacher and she was given a preview of what is to come in the next few days. I was there working on the classroom again and got to get a preview too.

This school is located in the Salt River Pima/Maricopa Indian Community and the vast majority of the kids live within the community and are Native American, of one sort or another. One mother came in without her child and proceeded to talk nonstop, sharing all the information about her son that his teacher might possibly ever need to know. He is small for his age and tends to get picked on by the other kids but she has taught him to stand up for himself. His dad is not his biological dad, but he has raised him and he is dad to the little boy. Then she said "He (the son) is White. I am Accuna and his dad(that he lives with) is Accuna." My daughter and I are both thinking #1 this kid is getting picked on because he is the only white kid in the school and #2 what kind of Native American is Accuna (because the mom is visibly Native American). I've never heard of that tribe before. Then the mom said, "His biological father is Maricopa." Now I am sitting in the library corner sorting books, totally confused because I know that Maricopa is a tribe of Native Americans - Salt River Pima/Maricopa Indian Community. If the mom is Native and the biological dad is Native, then how in the world is the son white??

The mom left and I was still pondering on this question when all of the sudden I was hit with an "aah-ha" moment. I went to the child's desk to look at his paper work to verify my theory.

Yup, the child's last name is WHITE and his mother's last name is ACCUNA.

You may think I was kind of dumb, but hey, I had to explain the conversation to my daughter the next day, because she still hadn't figured it out, was still totally confused and was expecting a pale face in her classroom on Monday morning.

1 comment:

mom of fab five said...

Reminds me of Katie being half Mexican..... That was funny--in our case Alex really is one of the white kids....