Monday, August 4, 2008

Just Me and a Temple Tree

One of the sisters in our ward is the individual who arranges and cares for the artificial flowers in the Mesa Arizona Temple. When the temple closes for cleaning she asks for volunteers to go in and help her perform upkeep on the arrangements. This consists of dusting them as well as rearranging them. I am not a flower arranger, but I do know how to dust. You may not believe this if you ever come to my house, but just believe me when I say I do.

It is a different experience to go to the temple in my street clothes and see the behind the scenes work that goes into making the temple look so wonderful on a daily basis. I have really enjoyed the opportunities that I have had to participate in this small service. I have quietly dusted flowers in the cafeteria, the baptistry, the foyer,the stairways, the celestial room, the dressing room and the women's restroom. Even though there may be carpet cleaners roaring, or hammers pounding, or any other number of sounds in the background, the spirit inside the temple is still the same. I love to be able to feel that spirit!
The last time I went I took my oldest son and we were responsible for leveling all of the paintings in the temple. You don't really notice how many paintings there are until you've dusted everyone of them and made sure they are straight.

Today I was able to spend a couple of hours at the temple. My assignment was tree dusting. I spent most of the time I was there bonding with one particular tree that is located on the way into the women's dressing room. Apparently this tree attracts the most dust of any plant in the temple. It was very obvious that it needed dusted. I got to stand on a ladder and spray cleaner on each individual leaf and then wipe it off. I was told to dust the whole tree and then double check it. I did this and would think I had got every last speck of dust and then all the sudden I'd look and there would be more. After 2 and a half hours I think I finally got it all, plus cleaned an arrangement and another tree in the foyer. I was instructed to go for quality not quantity, but I hope the rest of the volunteers that came today made more progress than I did. There were a lot of plants that needed to be finished before the temple opens at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

The sister in charge always shares her favorite quote about service with us. It says,

"God does not begin by asking
us about our ability,
but only about our availability,
and if we prove our dependability,
he will increase our capability."
I also appreciate this message. I am relieved that I do not have to have huge amounts of talent or skill to be able to give service. If I am willing to serve, and make the time to do it, I will be blessed to be able to do my job well - even if it is only dusting a tree one leaf at a time to help make the temple the beautiful place that it is. I CAN make a small difference in the lives of others and I am glad.

Today I am grateful for

Time in the temple to ponder and feel the spirit.
A son who made homemade pizza for dinner.
A few sprinkles of rain. Every little bit counts!

I went to Rubios today to buy me my favorite salad for my birthmonth present, but I was sad to find out that the Healthmex Chicken Salad is no longer on their menu. I settled for their new Tropical Chicken Salad, and while it wasn't too bad it wasn't the wonderful present I had hoped for.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I went to Rubios to have your favorite salad too...I think they just changed the name to chopped salad or something. It was the same, and yummy!!

Dianne said...

Nope, sadly not the same. The chopped salad has cheese and chips and chipotle dressing. My favorite one had Serrano Grape dressing and was my favorite because it was just barely 5 points and still tasted great. I guess this just gives me an excuse to not eat healthy. Like I need one.