Monday, August 18, 2008

Open House at McClintock High

Tonight was Open House at the High School. I have been to a lot of open houses at this school, 11 to be exact. For 4 of those visits we had 2 children whose classes and teachers we needed to get to and the hubby and I had to divide and conquer. The most exciting Open House was 2 years ago when it rained so hard that all the parents looked like drowned rats, and we were all sliding on the wet floors in the buildings and walking through knee high puddles. The roof on the auditorium collapsed onto the newly renovated stage and it was very exciting. The hubby missed that open house because he was stranded on the freeway with a stalled vehicle and the oldest son had to go rescue him.

Nothing quite that exciting happened this year. No wind. No rain. No drowned rat parents. Very few parents for that matter.

I can feel that things are winding down.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now that I finally know the shortest covered route from the Band room to Unit 12, know which building is the Lego building, and know where the "secret" doors are in the auditorium so I can get to an available seat when I arrive late, I am coming close to the end of my McClintock Charger Children.

It has been fun to have all of my children attend the same high school. It is a bond that they all share. They have also shared some of the same classes and some of the same teachers. Things have changed since our oldest daughter arrived on campus in the Fall of 1998 but a lot of things are still the same. The Charger Pride is still as strong as ever.

McClintock High School is a great school to be a part of.


My son actually had the map to all of his classes ready this year without me even having to ask. He drew a route and numbered each stop. Start at the Auditorium for the general meeting, then band, around the corner to History, all the way across campus to Unit 12 for Chemistry, back to Unit 6 on the other side of campus for Math, then to English in Unit 2. I was following the map pretty well until I got to the last hour where he leaves from Unit 2 and goes across the street to Seminary. The route he drew was twice as long as I thought it needed to be. I questioned why he drew it that way and his big brother said it was because the gates are locked and you can't get out where I thought the logic exit point should be. He replied, "No, you can go that way, but THIS is the way I GO."

Why?

Because that's the route where you run into all the cute girls, of course. What was I thinking! I almost missed the parents of the cute girls by going the short way.

No comments: