Thursday, July 31, 2008

Party with the Daughter

My oldest daughter called me last night and invited me to her exclusive party today, an organize my classroom party. I told her it didn't sound all that fun, but I'd come anyway because that's what good mothers do and I'm trying harder to be a good mother. This is what the classroom looked like when we got there at 7:45 this morning.


This is what it looked like 4 hours later when we were getting ready to go to lunch.

I'm sure you are noticing that it doesn't look that much better. In fact, you might even say it's looking a little (or a lot) worse. This is a very common problem I have when I try to organize. Things get worse, instead of better. Now, I do want you to know that I worked very, very hard during this time. I emptied everything out of the one metal, storage cabinet that she has in the room and then tried to figure out what should go back in and where. Here I am participating in one of the fun party games called "sort the construction paper".

Why when you buy an assorted package of construction paper do they package it with the colors all mixed up? Then you have to go through and pull out all the yellow or all the blue to use for your project. It would make more sense to me to put a group of red, then orange, then yellow,then blue... Nice and color coordinated like my finished product shown here.

I also helped empty the stack of boxes that you see in the first picture. Then all we had were empty boxes and stuff all over the room (see exhibit 2). This is why you shouldn't call me when you want to get organized. You would think my daughter would have figured this out by now. However, she learned to organize from me and this seems totally normal to her.

After our lunch break we got back to work. When we left for the day this is what the room looked like.

Hopefully you can see that we did make some progress. No more stack of boxes and look, you can actually see the tops of a few of the desks and the decorative tile pattern on the floor. I have to admit, I did spend some of my time today trying to figure out how the tile placement was determined. I finally decided there was absolutely no thought at all put into the design. What do you think?

Today I am grateful for

People - who volunteer to be on the Band Parent Board so I don't have to.
Online Classes - so I can feel smart that I know my student's ID number and none of the other parents filling out paper work at the band parent meeting do.
A son - who played chauffeur, for the other son, in my place today while I had fun at my daughter's "party". What am I going to do when he goes back to work next week?

3 comments:

mom of fab five said...

I think it does look better! It is a good thing she has you around--we did miss you ar lunch today--our discussion was not near as lively as yours was--but we decieded that you are a great blogger and you crack us up! i had sent you anther comment about keeping your blog a secret but...I think rhe computer wanted to keep you aninimity. By the way it was my lurker of a husband that outed you--

Angela said...

I loved hearing about setting up the classroom and seeing the pictures! Jessica's classroom looks brand new, is the school she is teaching at new? When does her school year start? I know in Chandler the first day of school was Monday the 28th. My kids start school Sept. 2nd and I have my c-section scheduled for Sept. 18th. Angela

grandmaC said...

The first thing I do every morning is check my e-mail and the blogs. It makes me feel very connected to the rest of the family. I hope a comment from me will help you get the same response. I bought you a birthday card so I guess you could say that I'm helping you celebrate early too. My friend Rosalee is sitting Helene's dog CoCoa. She's allergic to him and has red swollen eyes, Are you having fun sitting "the granddog"? My favorite blogs so far were your 3 D one and Queen for the day. You make my day! Mom