Thursday, July 17, 2008

Studying the Birds and the Bees

The unit the sixteen year old was working on today in health focused on Human Sexuality. You would think he would be embarrassed to have his mother looking over his shoulder while he studied this topic and perhaps he was, but that didn't stop him from requiring my assistance in getting it completed. I know that this son is my baby and he is probably more immature than most 16 year old boys, but after spending a day with him working on various worksheets, I find it scary to think that boys as stupid and silly as he is think they are mature enough to have a relationship with a girl and that many of the adults of the world don't see anything wrong with this idea. SCARY, SCARY, SCARY! One of the worksheets was about the stages of childbirth. He refused to believe that the 2nd stage, when the baby is actually born, usually lasts 30 minutes to 2 hours. He has seen a lot of TV deliveries and these only take 2 or 3 minutes. We all know, of course, every thing we see on TV is the absolute truth, right?! The fact that I have had 4 children didn't seem to increase my credibility at all. Obviously the text book and I are both wrong. Oh well, we can all hope he has grown up a lot before he has a wife to prove to him how wrong those TV shows really are and we can also hope that she has a lot of patience for dumb boys and will love him anyway. Tonight I am grateful that I am naive. I don't believe everything I see on TV is the way it is or the way it should be. I have a son I can talk to about serious things, even if he is sometimes a little silly.

No comments: