Sunday, July 20, 2008

A good place to be

It was nice to be back in our own ward for church today. I'm glad we go at 9:00 AM and not at 1:30 PM like my mom. Our favorite row (right hand side under the clock) was there waiting for us and it felt like where I belonged. Summer seems to make our ward even smaller than it normally is, but we had 3 priests to bless the sacrament and 6 actual deacons to pass it. It was wonderful. Our young men program is the only average size organization that we have, I think. The senior primary sang for the special musical number and there were only about 6 kids. Kind of sad. It was fun to be back in nursery. I think a few of the kids were happy to have us back and the rest couldn't have cared less. We got 2 new 18 month olds in our class while we were gone and they change the dynamics of our group a little bit. We're not used to having "babies" since most of the other kids are 3 by now. We had to keep a close eye on them because they wanted to eat the crayons and the play dough as well as the snack on everyone's plate but their own. We got a 3rd person called to work in nursery with us today and that is exciting. Sometimes we just need one more pair of hands and eyes. She is someone we have watched grow up and now she is married. She actually use to babysit my kids when they were little. It's fun to get to spend time with her again. Today one of the little girls told one of the few boys there to stop touching her blocks and he got his feelings hurt. He curled up in a ball on the floor and played dead. I tried a few things to get him to come around and after about 15 minutes I finally picked him up and sat him on my lap. The whole time he had his eyes closed so no one would see him and didn't move a muscle. It was time for snack and so I asked him if he wanted snack. No response. I told him I needed to get up to help with snack but I couldn't get up with him on my lap. He stood up (still with his eyes closed) while I got up and then I put him back in the comfy chair to resume his imitation of a sleeping child. After snack, and a few more attempts by the adults to get a response out of him, we had the lesson and my husband moved to the chair to hold him on his lap. When the lesson was done I said, "Let's go color our picture." and he hopped off the hubby's lap and walked to his chair at the table, never opening his eyes, and curled up on the kid size chair and colored with his eyes closed and his nose about an inch from the table. I whispered in his ear did he want his snack and he kind of nodded so I put it between his nose and the table and he ate it with his eyes closed. When the coloring was done, he sat up, walked over to do music and was his old happy self. It was pretty funny. These kids already have such unique personalities even though they are so little. It makes me happy to see how they go about being their own person. It's good to be back in my favorite ward.

I am grateful for

A husband - that cooked me scrambled eggs and zuchhini for lunch.
A ward - where I feel loved, accepted and needed.
Young Men - in white shirts and ties who honor their priesthood and fulfill their responsibilities for my benefit.

1 comment:

Jaron said...

Aha, so even though it is hotter than heck, you are still glad to be home!! I told you so.