Saturday, July 5, 2008

Two terrific trips to Tuacahn

The reason for our stop in St. George on our way to Utah county was so we could attend the "Broadway in the Desert" shows at Tuacahn. Tuacahn is an outdoor theatre that has a huge red rock mountain as the backdrop and I think I could be content to just sit and gaze up and down the hillside for a couple of hours, so actually getting to watch a play too is an added bonus. Our family came here once before, in 1997, to watch the musical "Utah". We had a family reunion in St. George and most of my family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters and kids) were together which was really fun. During the performance part of the set was blown over by the wind and they had to stop the show. It was lucky for us that we were staying around for another day and could come back the next night to see the entire play. It was a memorable experience and I have wanted to come to another performance for a long time.

Last night we saw the "Sound of Music". I am a big fan of this story and the music in it and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I especially like watching little kids living out their dreams of being on the stage. The marionette show was also a lot of fun to see portrayed by real people.
I wondered if going to the play was a patriotic way to spend the 4th of July but I was able to have feelings of gratitude for the wonderful country I live in while I was there. I am always stirred by a feeling of love for the country you call your own as I listen to the song Edelweiss. Captain Von Trapp is so willing to risk the lives of his family and himself to support his country and the values that he holds dear to his heart. During the scene in the play at the music festival they had actors dressed as German soldiers walking up and down the stairs of the audience keeping us all "under control". When someone near us booed at the announcement that the Captain was being sent to join the German Navy he was threatened and ridiculed by the guard and I started thinking how difficult it would be to have your country invaded by an enemy and to lose your freedom to voice your opinions and to live your life the way you chose to. I am truly blessed to be an American. They concluded the play with a fireworks display that was great. The live orchestra played "Stars and Stripes Forever" and the fireworks boomed just long enough to be enjoyable. It was a very "Happy Fourth of July". At least for most of us;)


Tonight we went to "Les Miserables". I had never seen this musical before and wasn't too familiar with the story or the characters so sometimes I felt a little lost, but I enjoyed it also. I thought the actors/singers did a great job. However the story was very sad and a little depressing in my opinion. Once again, it made me grateful for the life I have been blessed to live. My life could have been very, very different if I had been born in a different time and place.

Today I am thankful for
Family - to do fun things with.
Freedom - to do what I want and to live my life according to my values.
Motel rooms - that are nice, air-conditioned, not too expensive, I can share with my mom, sister and hubby who have money to help pay for them, and that my kids are all old enough to have one of their own!

No comments: