Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pink and Black Skull Quilt

My youngest daughter is a fan of the colors black and hot pink, especially together, as well as designs which include skulls, so when I saw this fabric, a couple of years ago, I knew I needed to buy it and make something for her.

I had wanted to make a rag quilt for quite awhile, ever since someone demonstated how to sew one in an enrichment meeting, and I decided this fabric would work well for this project. I couldn't just have one fabric however, so I bought a variety of other fuzzy materials and cut a bunch of squares. Each square had to have a skull block attatched to the back with a sewn criss-cross then the squares had to be put into rows and the rows finally combined into a lap quilt. Once all the blocks were sewn together, with the raw edges showing, those edges had to be clipped to make fringe. This fringe frays and curls when the quilt is washed and makes it look cute and fluffy.

I had no idea how long it would take to clip all those squares on all 4 sides. It took FOREVER. Then when that was done I realized I had no idea how to edge the quilt, so like so many of my projects, it got put away in a cupboard for quite awhile - maybe a couple of years.
When the daughter got accepted to BYU-Idaho I decided a warm, fuzzy, flannel quilt would be just the thing for her to take with her and I pulled the project out again. I just sewed a binding on, with the raw edge showing on the top, and did some more clipping, which went alot faster this time. Then I washed the quilt, to get the fluff, and ta-dum...
Unfinished project #2 - FINISHED and delivered.


Perhaps I'm on a roll here.

1 comment:

grandmaC said...

mcheever03I loved Jaron's talk. Thanks for passing it on, and thank you for giving me the book "i'll love you forever" he quoted.

I also loved Janaya's quilt. It's nice you made one for each of your daughters. She will enjoy it when she is at school and far from home. You are on a roll.