Friday, May 15, 2009

Looking Forward to our Next Visit

Today I attended the funeral of Gwendolyn Lucille Palmer. She is the grandmother of one of my good friends and she has always been "Grandma Jones" to me which is interesting because there's no Jones in her name. Gwen lived with my friend for several years and I had the privilege of being her visiting teacher for some of those years. She was an inspiration to visit with. She was in declining health all of the time I knew her and was unable to do so many of the things that she loved to do, but she still made sure she did her gospel study and scripture reading. We would always find her sitting in her recliner with her treasured Articles of Faith book, the Ensign and the scriptures on the table next to her. She made sure our discussions were always gospel centered and I gained new insights from her on whatever topic we visited about that day. She was a great example to me and I am looking forward to my next visit with her and the things I will be able to learn from her then.
A few months ago I attended the funeral of another ward member and was struck by comments made about the legacy he had left for his children. Since that time I have done some musing on what my legacy to my children might be and quite frankly I haven't been able to think of much. Today one of the speakers (a son-in-law I think) made the comment "Gwen didn't leave us a large inheritance but she left us a spiritual treasure. She left us a path to follow." As he made that last statement it really hit me. That is the legacy I want to leave for my posterity. I want to leave them a path to follow. Not just any path, but the path that leads them to eternal life with their Savior, Jesus Christ and the rest of our family. What a wonderful legacy that will be.

Today I am grateful for

Relief Society sisters that support each other.
visiting teaching friendships.
a good example.

No comments: