Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Mother's Daughter

Every once in a while I see my mother in me.
I hear her voice in my head when I bake
and when I sew.
"All it needs now is a bow."
"Everything tastes better with a few nuts."
I see her influence in my finished projects.
Although I have no where near the skill
that she has for making quilts
when it was time to bind our Spring Break Quilt
I couldn't bring myself
to just fold the fabric over and sew it.
"It would look so much cuter with a nice binding."
That's how I ended up folding and sewing
lots of little white, pink and green points
around the edge.


In my defense, I already had most of the squares cut.
I do think it turned out cute.
Now we just have to wait
and see if the baby-to-be is a girl
or if the quilt gets put away again for a while
even though it's finally truly and completely DONE!

Today I am thankful for

sons (one leader, one participant) who happily go to their young men activities.
a daughter who gave her brother a ride home from school for me.
only one 100+ degree day this week.

6 comments:

Danae said...

And what a wonderful mother to be like!

grandmaC said...

The quilt is darling, and I am so glad I taught you well. They asked me to talk in church on Mither's Day and I have been doing a lot of thinking about mothers and their influence lately.

Denise said...

wow Dianne...I am so proud of you...that looks awesome! Isn't it great to be like your Mother!

mom of fab five said...

that turned out great! I am so impressed--one unfinished project done how many left to do??? SIGH....It is the thought of the unfinished projects that i have that keeps me here on the earth--there is no way i can die with all that i have left undone--how about you? Although you are one closer...

My mom would say things like--"I am tired--you all need to go to bed" and while i don't actually say it...I do think it alot

Janaya L. Johnson said...

wow, its nice how you got that done so quickly, if only a certain pink and black skull quilt could be done so quick. hehe, jk. <3.

Dianne said...

This quilt was actually started before your quilt. Just hang in there and believe in miracles.