Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Playing Favorites

Today I had a short chat with my youngest son's school counselor (and yes, dear child, it is perfectly legal for me to have a conversation with your counselor. I asked her just to make sure.). Along with other things we discussed, she asked me why he wasn't too fond of one of his teachers (I had mentioned this fact in a previous conversation). I told her I wasn't really sure of his reasons. It seems like they change frequently depending on his mood and his favorite word for the day. He really isn't fond of too many people in the world and even fewer teachers. (The reason he doesn't care for this counselor is because she once said to him "You must be smart." Go figure.) Anyway, she responded with an "Oh yes, I forgot, he's a teenager." I guess I should take comfort in knowing that my son isn't the only "hater" in Tempe and yet it doesn't give me much comfort.
On the way home from school I decided to ask for his answer to this question. He made a couple of derogatory comments and then added "and he plays favorites." I asked the son how he thought these students became the teacher's favorites and he expounded their virtues. "They do what he asks. They help him. They do extra stuff. They are overachievers..." I then told him they would probably be my favorites too. I mean yes, it is probably wrong for teachers, or parents, or employers to have favorites, but get real. If you are nice to me and do what you are suppose to do and even a few extra things that I don't expect now and then, then chances are I am going to like you. You might even be my favorite. That's just human nature.
I thought it was interesting as I was blog hopping tonight that I ran into this blog post entitled Favorites. Now, I have absolutely no idea who this blogger is. (It's amazing the places you end up when you keep clicking on links). However, I loved what he had to say and how he said it. I thought it would be good reference material for the son if he ever decides he wants to become some one's favorite, besides his mom's of course. (Oh, but don't tell his siblings I said that. They each think they are my favorite). Check out the Favorites post and see what you think. Pretty good and honest advice in my opinion.

Today I am thankful for

fresh cherries for 88 cents a pound.
a "quilting bee" with a few of my Relief Society Sisters.
zucchini and scrambled eggs.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I read the favorites post. Very clever. Do you read cjanerun because the jolly porter is her brother? I have been following the stephanie neilson story since it first happened. Have you?

Janaya L. Johnson said...

i have not ever once in my life thought i was your favorite. just thought you oughta know. <3.

Dianne said...

I let you park your car in my driveway for a week. You must be my favorite. Oh wait, I let your brother park his truck there almost every day. Maybe he's my favorite too.