Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Second Chances


Our Family was invited to join a few other families in the neighborhood for a Family Home Evening Service activity on Monday night. We shoveled and spread gravel in another neighbor's yard. My sons weren't exactly thrilled with the idea. They didn't appreciate their mom providing them with the opportunity to look outside themselves for a couple of hours. I am very grateful that they did it anyway, but I'm not sure they received the full blessings that were available for this good deed.

Luckily for them they were given another opportunity to earn blessings tonight when the Young Men in the ward got to go and finish the project that we had started on Monday. They even got to do it in the rain this time.

My sons might see this as double punishment but I see it as a loving Heavenly Father giving them a second chance to receive the blessings he so wants to give to them. I think I see a little sense of humor on His part as well.

I believe that there are certain things that each one of us, personally and collectively, need to learn while we are here on earth and I firmly believe that Heavenly Father will continue to give us opportunities to learn them until we get it right.

Heavenly Father believes in second chances (more if we need them) and I'm grateful. Whether those second chances come dressed up like an invitation to go to a movie with your friends, or a girlfriend's desire to share the Gospel or another temptation dropping out of cyperspace I hope we can recognize them for what they are. A second chance to get it right!

Today I am thankful for

Friends who encourage my family and I to give service.
Promptings from the Holy Ghost.
Rain.
Second Chances.

1 comment:

Angela said...

About a month before we moved to Washington we ordered alot of gravel for our yard. I remember shoveling it in the dark for three nights while the big girls pushed our crying baby around in a stroller. I didn't wear gloves and had some nice blisters to show for my work. We should have invited you guys over to help us. :)