Monday, September 8, 2008

Green Cash Money for my Opinions

Today a nice lady came to my house
and conducted a survey
on politics and other important issues of the day
and paid me $25.00
just for sharing my opinions.
I feel like I have a lot of opinions
but my opinions don't translate very well
into categories on a survey.
I don't want to just say
never, sometimes or always.
I want to share my Whole opinion.
The Why I feel that way.
After taking this survey though
I definitely decided I am a fence-sitter.
I hang out in the middle of the scale a lot.
It's not because I don't have an opinion
it's just that I can see how both sides feel
and why they feel that way.
I am easily swayed
or not totally sure which side
I agree with the most.

A few of the questions got me thinking though.

One of them was if I would vote for a black president
if Obama weren't that president.
Yes, I really think I would happily vote
for a president who was black
if I felt he were qualified for the job
and his beliefs were similair to mine.

Another one asked if I ever tried to live a less sinful life.
After I answered that one yes the next question asked
"Do you do this by focusing
on refraining from sinning
or on helping others?"
I answered refraining from sinning
but the more I thought about
this the more I wondered
if that is part of my problem in life.
I often feel that I am too focused on me
and need to be more focused on others.
While I am hunkered down in my house
valiantly trying to not do anything sinful
I could be out in the world
making a difference and helping others.
That's something I need to work on.

It was interesting to have to actually
verbalize some of my thoughts and feelings
concerning the current political hub-bub
and I was again reminded of the fact that
I should be a little more actively engaged
in educating myself on some of the issues.

Only 2 more months and
we will have to live with the choices we have made.

Today I am thankful

that I live in a free country where I can voice my opinions.
for $25.00 that I earned.
that there are people that actually want to be president of the United States.

No comments: