Sunday, September 28, 2008

Got Talent? Not Quite.

One of my goals for this year
is to develop a talent.
I was hoping that cake decorating
might be it
since my daughter had invited me
to take a cake decorating class with her.
However,
today I can almost certainly say,
nope,cake decorating is definitely
not one of my talents.

Today's class we were learning
to make frosting roses.
We had to make the centers
of the roses ahead of time
so the girls and I got together
on Thursday and made centers.
Mine left quite a lot to be desired,
but hey, I tried
and I did miss class last week
where the instructors taught
how to make the centers
so I was at a disadvantage.

Today we made our cakes
and all the frosting
and went to class.

I was less than sucessful.

The center is placed
on a piece of wax paper
which is stuck to the flower "nail"
with frosting.
Then you roll the nail,
and make the "rainbow" loops
and a beautiful rose appears.
At least that is what
is suppose to happen.
Every time I would finally get
what somewhat resembled a rose forming,
my flower would fall off the wax paper
and land in a pile of frosting
on the floor.
Every time!!
It was very frustrating.

Finally the instructor decided
that my frosting was too thick
and we thinned it out
and it worked a little better.
Then it only fell on the floor
every other time.
Except then my frosting
was too thin to hold it's shape
and my roses
looked a little wilted.

This is the oldest daughter's cake.
See her beautiful roses?
Well done daughter!


Here is the other daughter's cake.
She is the cake decorating natural.
She makes rose construction look easy
and she's also great at shell borders and dots.
You go girl!


Here are my wilted roses.
They don't look horrible,
but considering I made about 25
and this is what I have to show for it,
I was less than pleased.
Thanks to daughter #2
for the lovely shell decoration
around the base.
By the time I got the roses on
I was too frustrated
to attempt anything else.
I do have to say that
leaves may be my strong point.
Look at those exceptional leaves.

So what if I can't make
great frosting roses.
No one likes to eat them anyway.

Today I am thankful that

I don't have to make another batch of frosting, bake another cake, or go to another cake decorating class unless I want to.
I have daughters and adopted daughters to go to the General Women's broadcast with me.
I belong to the Relief Society.

No comments: