Friday, September 26, 2008

Emily's Ice Cream

One of the little girls in the class where my oldest son works as an instructional assistant has Batten disease. This is a rare, inherited disease of the nervous system. She was fine until she was 4 years old when she began to lose her eyesight. She is now blind, has daily brain seizures and has difficulty retaining information. This disease becomes progressively worse, leading to death,
usually before the age of 20.

Because she has a fatal disease Make-A-Wish has granted several of Emily's wishes. One of her wishes was to swim with the dolphins and another one was to be able to create her own Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream Creation.

Last night was the unveiling of Emily's Creation at an Ice Cream Social at Cold Stone. The sons and the oldest daughter went to support Emily and to try out her ice cream. She had Nutter Butter Ice Cream mixed with Yellow Cake, Kit Kats, and White Chocolate Chips. My sons enjoyed the combination but the daughter deemed it just OK. I felt kind of bad that I didn't get to try it, but I am still striving to be good on my elimination diet. Well, today the oldest son came home from school with a half gallon of Emily's Creation. One of the other instructional assistants had bought it and a half gallon of Jack's Creation for all the kids in the class to try. They don't have that many kids in their class, so there was a lot left over. The other teachers were going to throw the left over away, but when the son discovered that it had cost $11.oo for each container he decided it wasn't going into the trash.

Well, I really like Emily and I really wanted to try her creation and since it was a limited thing I knew I would never have another chance so I gave in and had a spoonful of the ice cream.

I'm sorry Emily, but that is the nastiest stuff I have ever tasted. Oh Yuck! It was so not worth it. 2 weeks and 5 days of total adherence to my diet and then Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!

Now Jack's Creation on the other hand, Marshmallow ice cream with Oreos, Chocolate Chips and Fudge, I would have liked another bite of it. I don't know Jack but he can make ice cream for me anytime. Yum!

No comments: