Monday, September 1, 2008

Holiday Breakfast at IHOP

Once upon a time
on some patriotic national holiday
our family went out to breakfast
at IHOP.
The restaurant was decorated
with Red, White and Blue banners
and flags and stars
and pictures of
all of the presidents of the United States.

It was a long time ago.
I'm pretty sure the last picture
on display was President Clinton.

Our family had very little money,
and we didn't eat out often
so this was something unusual
and fun to do.
Our children were still pretty young,
could probably eat off of the kids menu,
and we had also discovered that
eating out for breakfast
was cheaper than eating out
for lunch or dinner.
The kids were very excited.
This was a splurge
but it was worth it and
we all enjoyed ourselves.

Since that time
any patriotic national holiday that arrives
one of our children (usually the eldest son)
insists that this is the national holiday
when we go out to breakfast
to celebrate.
Every once in a while we agree
and we go.

Things have changed in our household.
We have a little more discretionary money
and children who are no longer young.
Some that no longer live at home,
and some that have money of their own.
Eating out in our family is unfortunately
no longer an unusual occurrence.
It happens way too often,
but if it means I don't have to cook
or listen to family members complain
about my meal choices
I am more than willing to succumb
to the pressure and eat out.

A couple of days ago Son #1 said
"Are we going out to breakfast
on Labor Day?
You know it's a family tradition."
Well, although we eat out often
and had just been out
for my birthday when he asked,
I thought, "You know, we haven't been
out for breakfast in a while.
I'll surprise him and say yes."

My plan was that the hubby and I
and the two children
that reside in our home
would go to IHOP for breakfast.
It would be fun and
and somewhat within our budget.

The boys wouldn't have it.
It is a FAMILY tradition
and the girls should be invited.
I was under the impression that
the oldest daughter was involved
in a family reunion with her in-laws
for the entire Labor Day weekend
so I said she should not be invited.
I didn't want her to feel left out.

We picked up Daughter #2
and went to IHOP.
We squished into a booth
and were being a cozy family
enjoying a family tradition of sorts.
The daughter asks if her sister was invited.
I explain that she is reunioning with the hubby.
Time passes as the boys entertain themselves
throwing straw wrappers at each other
and we chit chat.
The daughter comments,
"The reunion ended yesterday.
She is very upset that
SHE wasn't invited to our FAMILY outing."

Don't you love cell phones
and text messaging
and being able to communicate
where ever and when ever you need to.
Even during a FAMILY breakfast and
especially when it's an
opportunity to get your mother in trouble
with one of your siblings,
which seems to be #1 on my kids list
of fun things to do this week.

Whoops!
That's strike #2
on my good mom chart
in the past couple of days
with the eldest.
She is already convinced that
I said she was my Stupidest child
thanks to child #4.
Which in my own defense
I did not say or even think.
I'm in even more trouble
with her now.

Why is it that sometimes
when we do things with
the best of intentions
they seem to backfire
and blow up in our face?

Happy Holiday at IHOP.

Today I am thankful for

Forgiveness.
3 day weekends
where you have time to have fun and accomplish stuff too.
Individuals who have been an influence for good in the lives of my children. Thank you Bro. Stewart.

The new thing I learned today was when your son tells you he is going to let his sister cut his hair you should try harder to discourage him, even though you are pretty sure he isn't going to listen to you , because when it turns out bad, in his opinion, you are going to be the one who gets the blame. Also you should always make sure to ask if picture day at school is coming up any time soon.

1 comment:

mom of fab five said...

The role of a mother--the one that has the finger pointed at her--when mistakes are made--misconstrued--I know you meant well. It made for an interesting thought provoking blog entry--I still love you!