Monday, September 15, 2008

Cemetery Thoughts

When I visit my mom I usually
take my daily walk in the Payson cemetery.

I really like walking in cemeteries.
They are peaceful and quiet
and there's not too much traffic
to have to watch out for.

Cemeteries are also a good place to think.
To reflect on what is important in life.
To ponder on what lasts and what doesn't.
To appreciate how blessed I am
to live in a time
where my children outliving me
is a good possibility.

This row of graves is a sad reminder
that this wasn't always the case.
In her 53-year lifetime this mother
buried 6 children under the age of 1
and another child at 15.

Cemeteries are good places to remember
my ancestors and the choices they made
and the impact those choices
have had on my life.

Cemeteries bring to mind questions
about what I value in life
and where my focus is and
what symbol could or would
be put on my tombstone
to represent me and my interests.


I like tombstones.
I like how firm and permanent they appear.
I like how they remind me of
the walls of the temple
and the covenants and promises
that are made there.
Promises that assure me
that death is not the end
and that I can be with my family again
even though circumstances
may separate us for a time.

I also enjoy the lighter side of cemeteries.
How it seems that some names
were created solely for the purpose
of being engraven on a tombstone.


Today I am thankful for

60 degree temperatures at 10:00 AM.
the ability to walk, even slowly.
thinking time.
Fresh fruits and vegetables.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Love the star wars one!