Friday, December 19, 2008

A Question for my Weatherman

This is something that I have always wondered about -
If the high temperature for the day
never gets above 32 degrees,
then why/how does snow melt on that day?
It seems to me that everything
should just stay frozen.
Now I have heard that heat
escaping from homes through the roof
causes the snow to melt and icicles to form.
Supposedly you can tell
how well insulated your house is
by the number and size of your icicles,
so that is a possible explanation.
I also understand that
where the sun is actually hitting
ie. the driveway, the asphalt,
the mailbox, the roof top, the sidewalk
might be warmer
than the actual recorded high temperature
and that is why the snow melts.
It still seems rather strange to me though,
if water freezes at 32 degrees
if it is below 32 degrees
it should just stay frozen!
That would make sense.

No comments: