Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Part of Something Big

I do online indexing for Family Search.
It is somewhat addictive to me,
but something that I can feel good about doing
when I don't feel like doing anything else.


Usually I just index whatever pops up when I push download
but as I have mentioned before
I really enjoy(?) reading death records
so recently I have been choosing Massachusetts Death records
over the 1916 Canadian Census
which is what automatically comes up.
I'll do a Canadian Census page every once in a while
and then reward myself with a few pages of Death records.
I know I sound warped, but I'm not.
At least I don't think I am.
The Canadian Census is hand-written,
sometimes hard to read,


and the Massachusetts Death records are often typed.

Which would you choose?

Anyway, on with my topic.
The day before Thanksgiving I got an e-mail from FSIndexing
that said that their goal was
to have the Canadian 1916 Census
completed by December 3
and that it was only 43% done.
They were asking all indexers
to please fit in at least one page
during the holiday weekend (about 30 minutes).
Suddenly I was overcome with guilt
for not just hitting download
and indexing what came up.
I felt like this shortfall
was somewhat my fault.
I started thinking about all those Canadian families
that possibly weren't being united because of me.
Well, rather than feel guilty
I started indexing the Canadian 1916 Census
and have actually enjoyed it a lot.
I did a couple of pages from Alberta
that were all Mormon settlers
which was fun and easy
because the families were so large
there weren't that many surnames on one page.
I did a couple of pages from
Indian Territory in Manitoba.
The Indians were the only ones on this census
that could list their ethnicity as Canadian,
everyone else had to be what their ancestors were
even if they were generations removed from that country.

Yesterday there was a message from Family Search
that said this project is now 87% complete.
It is pretty amazing to me
to think of all the people through out the church
and maybe not just through out the Church
but through out the country
and maybe not just through out the country
but through out the world
who have been working with me
to accomplish this one united goal.
It feels great to be a part of something big!
What a difference we can make
when we all work together!

If you aren't already a part of
the wonderful world of indexing
it's easy to join.
Just go hereand click on get started.
I think you'll be glad you did.

Today I am thankful for

my van.
medicine that clears out my nose so I can breath every now and then.
Kleenex.

No comments: