Thursday, December 4, 2008

McClintock Holiday Concert

Tonight we went to the youngest son's band concert.
When we pulled into the parking lot my hubby said,
"This isn't the Christmas Concert is it?"
and although I agreed with his thinking
that it is a little bit early in the holiday season,
I am very glad that "Yes, it was the Christmas Concert"
and we don't have to go to another one before the 25th.
I have been to a lot of Christmas Concerts over the years.
One year we had kids in 4 different schools,
some in band and choir,
and went to lots and lots of concerts.
Tonight I was trying to figure out how many years
I have attended the McClintock Holiday Concert.
I'm thinking that when the first daughter was a freshman
she was in the JV band and performed on a different night
and the same was possibly true of the youngest son as well.
Last year the hubby and I were flying to Seattle
for my nephew's wedding
at the same time the son was performing
but still I'm thinking this is probably my 8th year
attending this particular event.
This concert is a big tradition at McClintock
and it has some rules that are always adhered to.
The "Christmas Festival" and "Sleigh Ride"
are always performed by one of the groups.
I am a fan of Holiday music at Holiday Concerts.
I am not a huge fan of technically challenging pieces
that sound like every member of the group
is playing their own little song.
To me, music should be pleasing to my ear.
"Christmas Festival" and "Sleigh Ride'
meet this criteria.
Unfortunately, a couple of the songs that
were performed tonight didn't.
Overall, it was a great concert.
The A Capella choir sang "Fruitcake"
which was quite entertaining.
The tradition that I enjoy the most each year
is at the end of the evening
when the A Capella choir and alumni from the choir
gather on the stage and sing "Song of Mary".
They sing it twice and during the second time
the choir moves from the stage
into the side aisles of the auditorium
so by the end of the song you feel as though
you are surrounded by a choir of angels.
I remember the first Holiday Concert
when I experienced this
I was brought to tears.
It was so beautiful.
Each year it never fails to give me the chills.
There has been some controversy over the years
about singing a clearly religious song at a school concert
but so far it continues to be sung
at the conclusion of the performance
and I am extremely grateful.
It truly feels like the Holiday season has begun to me
after I bask in this yearly experience.
Thank you McClintock High School
for another wonderful Holiday Concert.

Today I am thankful for

dedicated teachers who are willing to work with my high school student.
Christmas music.
Holiday traditions that help me to feel the spirit of the season.
the opportunity my children have had to have music in their school experience.
Siblings who support each other during their special events.

No comments: