Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stiffnecked

I have had a sore neck for the past couple of days. It never fails to amaze me how frequently and relatively painlessly I turn my head every day and then one morning I wake up and "Ouch". If something is not directly in front of me I don't need to see it. My neck it not moving.
I asked my youngest son what I should do about my neck and he said I should stretch it. I have been doing my giraffe imitations, but they don't seem to be helping.
I decided to ask for my youngest daughter's opinion. She used to really be into anatomy and read medical dictionaries for fun. Maybe she would have a helpful suggestion. I told her "I have a stiff neck. What should I do?" She thought about it for a minute and replied "Perhaps you should pray to Heavenly Father to soften it." While that wasn't quite the response I was looking for I thought it was a good one.
Sometimes I can't help but think how totally right on discriptive words in the scriptures are. When someone is called stiffnecked I know exactly what is meant. I can relate with that condition, physically and yes, probably even spiritually once in a while.
Now if I could just figure out how to say the word stiffnecked I would be all set. Is it stiffneck-T or stiffneck-ED. I know it's repent-ED, repeat-ED, and post-ED. I know it's search-T, ponder-D and pray-D. I would say it is stiffneck-T since it is kick-T and cook-T, but then when the word is stiffneckedness that just doesn't seem to work. It has to be stiffneck-EDness not stiffneck-Tness, doesn't it?
I admit to being a hick from a small town in Utah who doesn't always speak correctly, in the opinion of some people, so can someone please help me out here?

No comments: