Friday, February 20, 2009

One Year Older

Tonight the hubby and I attended a Luau
in honor of the 50th birthday
of our neighbor, friend and bishop
as well as the 50th birthday
of the state of Hawaii.
It was fun to spend time
with lots of good friends
visiting and eating Hawaiian Haystacks.
One of my favorite parts of the event
was singing "Happy Birthday".
At our Arizona family birthday parties
the birthday song singing
is usually a painful experience.
I have a hard time figuring out
if we are all very horrible singers
or if singing off key
is just a beloved family tradition
that we want to preserve.
Tonight however "Happy Birthday to You"
actually sounded happy.
In fact, we sounded so good
that the honoree requested an encore.
We then endeavored to see
how many Primary Birthday songs we could come up with.
"You've had a birthday; shout "Hooray!"
We want to sing to you today.
One year older and wiser, too.
Happy Birthday to you."
"This month is such a special one;
It's birthday time for you.
We'd really like to celebrate
your happy day with you.
Zip-a-dee-ay and heigh-dee-ho,
Here's something we can do.
We'll sing a song that we all know,
Happy Birthday to You!"
"'Feliz Cupleanos'
that's how they say it in Spain."
I thought this one was especially appropriate
since the bishop served his mission in Spain,
but that's the only line
we could remember from the song.
We also couldn't skip
the old favorite
"Happy, happy birthday bishop dear.
Happy days will come to you all year.
If I had one wish then it would be
a happy, happy birthday to you from me."
It's amazing to me the flood
of warm memories
that these silly songs
bring to my mind.
Thoughts of enthusiastic actions,
specific individuals
singing with all their hearts,
little children growing older and older
each year until they left primary
and moved on to young womens
or became priesthood holders.
Oh, so many, many happy moments
and special people I remember
all because of some birthday songs.

Today I am thankful for

primary music.
old friends, and I'm not referring to someone turning 50 because I no longer consider that old.
one clean window.

No comments: