Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No More Merit Badges

Tonight our scout troop had a Court of Honor that I attended. It is always fun to see all the young men accept responsibility and accomplish their goals by earning merit badges and rank advancements. There were a lot of awards given out tonight. It often seems like in the church once boys turn 14 their progress in scouting seems to really slow down or stop completely. Tonight all the Life Scouts were challenged to not quit but to keep moving and receive their Eagle Rank. My youngest son was one of these scouts. His Scoutmaster officially told him that he could "stop earning merit badges". He has enough.

Now if he can just push himself a little bit longer and harder and get that Eagle project completed. He is so close. He is not sure that this is important to him, but I know that someday it will be. I hope he can hang in there and just do it!

Today I am thankful for

the scouting program that has helped my sons learn to set goals and accomplish them.
scout leaders who expect my son to rise to his potential.
friends to sit by at church meetings.

1 comment:

grandmaC said...

Congratulations Jayce! Of course you will want to keep going so you can soar like an eagle! I too am very grateful to the scouting program for helping my two sons to be eagles. They would probably have never made it on their own or with just my help.