Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Food Affection

Last time I was in Utah my sister-in-law made the comment that a lot of my blogs and the blogs of my children seem to include a great number of posts concerning food. Unfortunately, I had to agree with her. My family seems to have a strong affection for food. I like to use the excuse that I only take pictures of the family when we are eating out, but that really isn't totally true. It just seems like many of our memories and activities center around food. Each year when we visit Utah, I'm afraid our agenda is based more on where we are gong to eat than what we are going to do. I realize this is a problem and I have tried to change at times, but it is a hard habit to break.
I have been doing some sorting and organizing in my bedroom recently and I ran across my life history that I wrote for a Genealogy class I took at BYU. It was somewhat discouraging to realize that this "completed" personal history, that was written in 1983, now has more missing years than recorded ones, but that's beside the point. I read the first page and immediately figured out where my food affection came from. There was a paragraph with some memories my dad had written of my birth and this was part of his description of the hospital where I was born "the cook who worked in a rather large kitchen on the ground floor fixed excellent meals and mother always enjoyed her stay which generally lasted four or five days." There it is. My birth was celebrated by my mother with delicious hospital food and my father associated my arrival with that memory. It appears that both of my parents would have had a lot of food posts as well if blogs had been around in 1959. Apparently it's a genetic thing.

1 comment:

missykac said...

Yep, everytime I hear about when I was born - they remind me that Dad was in the hospital kitchen eating delicious pie or cinnamon rolls.
Mom was bearing down and I was causing all kinds of pain and Dad was having some comfort food. Isn't it wonderful how we inherit what we do?