Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The View

The hubby has had several evening meetings this week so I decided this was a good time to put a puzzle together. I love to do puzzles. There is something so intriguing about looking at the small details of a puzzle piece and figuring out where it belongs in the larger picture. Tiny color variations or subtle patterns, that you hardly notice at first glance, become so apparent when you really look at each individual piece. I am always so excited to watch the complete picture come together.

I bought this puzzle at a thrift store. I chose it because it reminded me of my home. I grew up on the outskirts of a small Utah community nestled in the Wasatch Valley. The home that I lived in for most of my childhood was located on the crest of a hill looking out over this valley. My front porch had a wonderful view that extended all the way to Mt. Timpanogos and Deer Creek Reservoir. Although there were a few homes and buildings to be seen dotting the landscape here and there, the majority of what we could see from this vantage point were fields. Lots and lots of fields containing various crops and livestock dissected by dirt roads and fences and streams. Depending on the season these fields would be green or gold or brown or white or a mixture of many different hues. They often resembled a huge patchwork quilt just as this puzzle depicts. What beautiful and precious memories this puzzle brings to mind.

Today I am grateful for

thrift store puzzles that end up still having all the pieces.
the opportunity to grow up in the country.
memories.

One year ago today - Crying on the beach

No comments: