Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just for Me

During my early teens I babysat frequently to earn some spending money. My going rate was 25 cents an hour and I remember getting paid 50 cents an hour once in a while and thinking I was rollin' in the dough. I had several families that I babysat for regularly, but there was one family that I tended more than any other. I enjoyed their kids a lot and was always happy to be at their house. I think perhaps one of the reasons I liked babysitting for this family were the food perks that were included. The mom always made sure the cookie jar was full of fresh chocolate chip cookies every time I came. She made a point of telling me they were there "just for me" so I didn't even feel bad about eating them. This mom would also prepare a shepherd's pie and leave it in the oven or the fridge if I was going to be there during the dinner hour. This was 'just for me" as well. Her kids probably got tired of shepherd's pie, but I never did. This was a treat that we didn't have at my house and I enjoyed it every time I ate it. I guess that is why shepherd's pie is close to the top of my comfort foods list still today.

This dish never fails to bring happy thoughts with each bite. It's amazing how a little hamburger, tomato sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes and cheese can do that!

Today I am thankful for

a woman who knew how to make a 13 year old feel special.
things I learned from babysitting that have helped me care for my own children.
a husband who goes with me on errands.

1 comment:

missykac said...

I like shepherd's pie also. Karen makes that once in a while for us. She keeps telling me it isn't hard to make, but it's easier to wait and let her do it. Looks yummy! Enjoy that comfort food.
Thanks, also, for the email. Love ya!