Monday, March 16, 2009

Roadrunner Folklore

A couple of months ago the oldest daughter and the son-in-law were hiking on South Mountain and they saw a roadrunner.

During Second Grade O'odham (Pima)culture class the next week the teacher told the children that in the O'odham culture it is believed that if you see a roadrunner it means that you are going to receive a great blessing or good fortune. The daughter was curious to see what blessing might be coming to them. Tonight they told us what their blessing was.
When they shared their news my hubby said, "I should have known. I saw a baby roadrunner the other day when I was driving back to work."

I was wondering if I should feel bad that I hadn't seen any roadrunners. Maybe I need to get out more. But then again, I don't need to see a roadrunner to know that a new baby is a blessing. Plus, at this point in my life I'd rather be the Grandma than the one expecting so, just to be on the safe side, I'm glad I didn't see the roadrunners. The daughter and her hubby can have the blessing and I'll just enjoy it, spoil it, and send it home.

Today I'm thankful that

I get to be a grandma.
they make dry socket paste. It smells so bad that the girls won't want to come close to the boy for a while.
I got to go to breakfast with my girls who are on Spring Break this week.

4 comments:

Danae said...

Congratulations to you and the daughter and son-in-law. That is exciting news. I would like to see a road runner, not to have a baby, though! Maybe it is opposums in the south and it has to be alive.

mom of fab five said...

Finally we hear it from the grandma's mouth--grandma? That is crazy! Hey my mom became a grandma just before her 50th birthday--I guess it is something you need to be at that age--did you add that to your list?

DRY SOCKET==
say it isn't soooo--that hurts sooo bad! I feel his pain and remeber that nasty smelling stuff

Angela said...

How exciting! A grandbaby! You'll make a terrific grandma.

Doug Cheever said...

Congratulations to my favorite baby sister. We are happy for all of you and look forward to seeing the new addition to your family.