Saturday, October 31, 2009

Our Halloween

Most of my family did their own thing for Halloween this year.

The oldest son and the fiancee spent the morning tye dying a t-shirt with Kool-Aid for him to wear trick or treating with her "nieces and nephew" (children of close family friends). I didn't know that you could use Kool-Aid to tye dye. It was kind of cool. I thought the son would record this event for me, but he forgot to take his camera.

The youngest daughter was far away in Idaho and all we heard about her Halloween was that a really scary guy with a chain saw tried to accoust her and her roommates in their apartment, but they laughed and he ran away. Apparently there are no photos of this event either.

The youngest son had a date tonight to the school homecoming dance. It appears to be a lot less stressful to be the boy going to the dance than the girl. He spent most of the day on the couch watching football and movies while I'm sure his date was getting her hair done and worrying about looking beautiful. Sometimes life is just not fair! He did go to the church for awhile to set up for the trunk or treat and helped his friend wash the truck they were taking on their date, so he didn't get to just relax all day.

We did get the son and his date to swing by the trunk or treat at the church so we could see if they both ended up looking nice.


I'd say they looked a little silly, but nice. The son was thrilled that he got to wear a purple shirt and tie. He really was. He loves purple shirts. He also did a good job of choosing a date for the event. Not only is she cute and nice and fun to be around, she also got free tickets to the dance and free pictures (because she is on student council and helped set up). That's a smart boy I've got.

The oldest daughter, the son-in-law, the grandson, the hubby and I spent the evening at the church at the Halloween Trunk or Treat activity. The two wards that meet in our chapel have been doing this activity for about 10 years now. It is fun and a safe way for parents to take their kids trick or treating, but I kind of miss the neighbor activities. Our trunk or treat seems to be discovered by more and more neighborhood families each year and we pass out a lot of candy. Here is the grandson checking out the candy before we packed him and it up to take to the church.



I'm not sure that he was too impressed. I guess I wouldn't be thrilled about just laying in chocolate either. It's much more fun to get to eat it! His other grandma gave him this cute froggie costume. It was a great choice, don't you think?

Here are the hubby (dressed as farmer) and the oldest daughter (dressed as a mother) in our trunk or treat pumpkin patch.


I had a lot more pumpkins to hang up, but who would have guessed that our van has no hanging hooks attached? I had a difficult time finding something to hang our crop from before the hoards of trick or treaters decended upon us. I'll have to start decorating sooner next year now that I've figured out how I could make it work. I thought the frog was a nice pumpkin patch addition. Every pumpkin patch should have a frog. We did have several parents thank us for not having any scary decorations. The van two cars down from us was pretty scary apparently. There was a lot of screaming going on anyway.

The son-in-law is missing from the above photo because he was off making a bottle for the baby. The baby has been having some tummy trouble and seemed a little plugged up so his mom and dad decided to try a different formula. We're happy to say that the formula fixed the problem, but they went through a lot of diapers and ran out of wipes during the evening. Here the grandson is admiring himself after he is once again clean and fresh smelling.


Happy Halloween!
Today I am grateful for

a good friend who helped me (ie. did all the work) make a corsage for the youngest son's date.


chocolate!
my ward family.

One year ago today - Scary Halloween!

2 comments:

Becky and Ben said...

Wow, sounds like a great halloween. How could it be bad with such a cute grandbaby around, right?

Janaya L. Johnson said...

sorry i was unable to acquire a picture of the crazy man with chainsaw for you. if i had but know he was coming i would have prepared myself with a camera!! haha. but then it wouldnt have been as exciting as it was! <3.