Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Potty Humor

I woke up early this morning
long before it was light
with a need to visit the bathroom.
When I got back in bed
sleep had escaped me
so I just lay there thinking.
For some reason
a riddle from my childhood came into my mind.

If you're Russian when you go into the bathroom
and you're American when you come out.
What are you while you're in the bathroom?

European, of course.

Then I started really thinking about this.
The Russian makes sense because
I am often in a hurry to get to the restroom.
The European also works,
but the American just doesn't fit.
There must have been something else there
instead of American.
I thought and thought and thought
but I couldn't seem to come up
with a nationality that fit.
It really, really bothered me.

This riddle was the first thing out of my mouth
to my oldest son this morning,
with a blank in the 2nd line.
He filled the blank in with American as well
until I told him that it just didn't work.

He thought for a minute and said,
"when you come out you're Finnish".
I don't know if that is the correct word,
but I like it a lot better than American
so I'm keeping it and moving on to
think about something else now.

I knew there was a reason I keep this son around.
Thanks for helping me out son!

1 comment:

Janaya L. Johnson said...

i think it is american, because an american person made up the joke, and so when he comes out of the bathroom, he is american. it makes sense to me, am i alone in this??? <3.