Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hootie Hider

A couple of months ago when the oldest daughter and I were on our baby sewing kick we were discussing making a breast feeding cover, more commonly known as a hootie hider. The youngest son thought this name was pretty entertaining and wanted to know what it was and what purpose it served. A few days later he found a burp cloth that we were working on and decided it must be a hootie hider. Here he is modeling it for us. Umm, not quite.

The daughter found a great hootie hider tutorial online and I decided I was smart enough to make one. The girl and I went in search of some material we liked for the project, but didn't really find anything she loved. There was one fabric that she thought might work at the first store we visited. It was cream, green and orange and had birds on it. Of course, we couldn't purchase it without checking out our other choices though and then when we decided we liked it best we didn't want to drive back to the first store. A couple of days later (while the daughter was "lounging" in the hospital) I went and bought the fabric. However, somewhere between the car and the front door of my house it disappeared. I think those birds just up and flew away because I have no idea where it ended up. I searched and searched for it and then after several days I decided the best way to make it reappear was to go buy more fabric. I went back to the store to buy another yard and while I was there I found this really cute retro astronaut baby material. I felt this theme was quite appropriate since the son-in-law grew up wanting to be an astronaut and so I bought it instead.
I held on tightly to the bag all the way from the car until I was in the house and then I quickly sewed it into an adorable hootie hider. The hubby thought it was quite entertaining that I kept walking back and forth from the instructions on the computer to the sewing machine. That was definitely the most challenging part of the project. I did have a little bit of trouble threading the boning into the casing but only because I sewed the casing a little to small. This was a really quick, easy project.
Here is the daughter and the grandson trying it out.
I wish I could say that it worked wonders and that the baby now is completely converted to the idea of nursing, but unfortunately that's not the case. He drank too many bottles in the hospital and knows that he shouldn't have to work that hard to get his meals. He can be pretty stubborn when he doesn't get what he wants as quickly as he wants it.

Oh well, the hootie hider still turned out great!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I love the nursing cover you made. My favorite kind of fabric is retro fabric with little kids on it. I never had a nursing cover. At home I would go coverless and in public settings I would retreat to another room. They do seem to be quite popular now though. You are a great mom for making her one. You are really quite the crafter.