Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History Is Made!


Today History was made in the United States of America
and I was here to witness it
and participate in it.
Today the first Black (bi-racial) President of the United States
was elected - President Barack Obama.

This is truly a momentous achievement.
I am proud to be a citizen of a nation
that has reached the point
where a man is not judged
by the color of his skin.

I chose to not vote for this candidate,
but that was not because of his ethnicity
but because of his ethics, his experience,
and his political position
on some issues I feel strongly about.

On my morning walk a specific house
has caught my attention the past few weeks.
This house flies a replica of the original American flag -
13 stars arranged in a circle on a field of blue.
In the front yard of this house is an Obama '08 sign.
Every day as I walk past
I ponder how far
the United States of American has come
since the introduction of that first flag.
How much we have learned
about the equality of all men and women.

I am grateful for the progress we have made
as a nation where the issue of race is concerned.
I don't believe all of the changes that have occurred
in the United States of America since it's early days
have been positive ones,
but this is one that I am happy to be a part of.

No comments: