Sunday, November 9, 2008

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder - Sometimes

Tonight the oldest son decided to abandon his melancholy mood long enough to attend the Youth Concert with our family. There were a lot of us who decided to participate by being the audience including all of my children, the son-in-law and the roommates. The daughter, with the roommates, sat in a different part of the building since a couple of ex-boyfriends were located in our area, one being my son.

Following the concert the son went out to the hall to get a drink of water while I talked to some family and friends. All the sudden here comes the son back, holding hands with the roommate, big smiles on both of their faces. I'm still unsure what brought about the change and so is the son, but he says he's not going to ask any questions. He is just too happy! She seems to be pretty happy too. Go figure.

I guess in this case absence did make the heart grow fonder. Unfortunately, the other ex-boyfriend is already married to someone else and he seemed pretty fond of his wife. Sorry other roommate.

Speaking of old girlfriends, tonight there were quite a few non member youth who came to watch their friends perform. One of the girls, who was sitting the row in front of us, looked very familiar to me. I finally figured out that she was someone that the youngest son had gone to elementary school with. This young lady had quite a crush on him, especially when they were in the 4th and 5th grade. He liked her too, but he was a little more smitten with someone else. Their 5th grade teacher was engaged to be married the year they had her and so there seemed to be an extra dose of romance floating around in their classroom. For Valentine's Day the teacher decided to have a Valentine Tea and she encouraged all the boys to ask one of the girls as a date. Now, I am a prude and I was not really in favor of this idea. I thought perhaps the moms and dads should have been invited instead (perhaps I just wanted to be able to enjoy all the fancy treats that I was being asked to provide). Anyway, I remember my son stressing about if he should ask someone and who he should ask but I honestly don't recall how it all ended up. What I do remember is hearing about my son's part on the program. He and this girl sang a duet together.

They sang LOVE.

L is for the way you look at me,
O is for the only one I see,
V is very, very extraordinary
E is even more than anyone that you adore.
Love is all
That I can give to you
Love is more
Than just a game for two
Two in love can make it
Take my heart
And please don't break it
Love was made
For me and you.

I still have a hard time figuring out what possessed him to do that and I am still amazed that none of his friends laughed him out of the school. Oh, and remember this is the boy that "doesn't sing". Anyway, tonight it just so happened that she was there to watch the same person perform that this son was there to watch. She is a good friend (perhaps not as good as he would like however. A mother is never really sure). Well, the two girls got talking and it came out that they both knew the son, but this girl was sure (actually hoped) that he didn't remember her. He was called over and a jaunt down memory lane ensued. Yes, he remembered her. Yes, he remembered singing that song with her. They had a good laugh together. However in this case I don't think absence had made the heart grow fonder. I think absence just proved how silly elementary school crushes look from the perspective of time.

Today I am thankful for

the smile on my oldest son's face. I hope it stays there.
youth who are willing to perform uplifting music so I can feel the spirit and receive inspiration.
my Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments: