Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Singing Get Well Card

Today Shad got a get well card from my sister.  This sister is really good at sending awesome cards and  her birthday card for Shad's 2nd birthday was a hit as you can see in this photo.



The card sang the Woody song - "You've got a friend in me" and it sang it's heart out until it died. Since his first singing card made such an obvious impression, he has received a few more cards that sing.

Shad opened the get well card today and let his uncle read part of it to him, but then he needed to hold it in his hand and refused to let anyone else hold it, look at it, or finish reading it.  As he examined it for a while, all of the sudden he announced, "Hey, it doesn't sing!"  He opened it and closed it and opened it and closed it and then looked at me with disappointment.

Well what Grandma can let her sick grandson be disappointed?  As he slowly opened it one more time I sang a truly inspiring, rousing and creative "Get well, little buddy, get well."

He closed it and opened it again, "Get well, little buddy, get well.  Get well, little buddy, get well. Get well." and closed it.

This continued for a while with a variety of renditions of the same words.  Our favorite being the staccato, one syllable at a time, version as he quickly opened and closed the card repeatedly.

Some of my family members may think I have been held hostage in a hospital room for too long and lost what good sense I still had, but I say if I can get a belly laugh and spontaneous giggles, I'll gladly embarrass myself again and again.

That get well card worked wonders and I definitely felt better.

Today I am thankful

that Shad was the only patient in the PICU.  Not only does he get lots of personal attention from the nurses, but that means that there isn't another mother or grandmother sitting next door with her heart in her throat worrying what the day will bring.

for all the people in our lives who think of ways to brighten our days.

that the son-in-law and oldest daughter were able to get out and go shopping for a little while today and that they let the youngest son tag along.  We had a quiet, peaceful afternoon in our cozy little room and I think they enjoyed the outing.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are the most wonderful Grandma for Shad, and I can't wait until Jaron and I have kids, so you can be an awesome Grandma to them too! You are also a wonderful mother-in-law! Love you! Send Shad and everyone else our love too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
missykac said...

You amaze me (and tickle my heart) with your talents, creativity and awesome blog writing! Thanks for sharing what a fun Grandma you are. I'm so glad you're part of my family, life and world. Shad is VERY lucky to have you in his!! Of course he's pretty amazing himself too!!

Anonymous said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!


[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.loveslife.biz/]Cheap NFL Jerseys[/url]



[url=http://jerseys2013.is-great.net/]Giants Jersey[/url]