Wednesday, November 14, 2012

On a Lighter Note

This evening we were all sitting in Shad's room doing our own thing when one of the hospital chaplains came to visit.

He talked for a few minutes and then asked, "Are you Christians?' and turned to the son-in-law for a response.

The son-in-law slowly replied, "Not ... really", and then went on to say something that I wasn't really listening to.

I was too busy thinking, "Wait, my son-in-law doesn't think we are Christians?  Hadn't he read all the articles on this topic?  Didn't he serve a mission?  Doesn't he listen to General Conference?..."

and then in a matter of seconds I understood what the son-in-law had heard and responded too.

Every doctor's visit, and there are A LOT of them, ends with the question,  "Do you have any questions?"

That is what the son-in-law had heard and "not ,,, really."  He didn't have any questions.

While the chaplain stood, with obvious concern, trying to decipher the son-in-law's response and determine where to go from there, I think I might have burst into laughter.

(I blame it on being cooped up in a hospital all day under a great deal of stress. I have no idea how the oldest daughter and the son-in-law do it so well day in and day out. It felt good to chuckle, so good that I was still laughing about it an hour later much to the son-in-law's consternation.)

We quickly cleared up the misunderstanding, declared that, yes indeed we are Christian, and then appreciated the prayer that the chaplain offered in Shad and his family's behalf.

ALL of the prayers that are being offered, by so many people of so many faiths, are felt and appreciated   by us.  They are what make it possible for us to laugh even in these difficult times

and laughing is good.

Today I am grateful for

laughter.

some of the "best possible news" we could hope for.

the opportunity to be here with Shad and his parents, along with the hubby and the youngest son.

conference talks. So glad that my November Ensign arrived as we were pulling out of the driveway to come to California yesterday.

For an update on Shad and the good news we got today go to the daughter's blog post here.

2 comments:

Watson Family said...

So grateful for your moments of laughter amidst everything! Sending loads of love and prayers, truly...

paula said...

I am glad you are there too. I'm sure trevor does have lots on his mind. I would have
wondered 'what?" too.