Monday, May 26, 2008

Oreo Day!

Well, today is Memorial Day and I haven't given much thought to those men and women who have made such great sacrifices so that I can have the freedom that I enjoy. My 15-year-old son just finished taking a World History and Geography class online. This meant that pretty much every day he was sitting in front of the computer and I was sitting behind him - usually keeping him from escaping. Together we learned a lot about history, and war, and sacrifice, and how lucky we are to be Americans in 2008 even though gas prices are way too high. I am grateful for the opportunity he gave me to be reminded of these things (even though I wasn't all that grateful at the time).

Now to the title of this blog - When my oldest son was probably about 5 or 6 we had been telling him all day that it was Memorial Day and that was why Daddy didn't have to go to work. As dinner time ended he looked at my husband and me and said, "I've waited and waited all day and I want to know - when do we get the Oreos?" We were a little confused until we realized that he thought we were saying MMM...Oreo Day! We had a good laugh and went out and bought Oreos and our Memorial Day Celebrations since then have always included Oreos.

No comments: