Sunday, November 22, 2009

Did I Think to Pray?

Today we had 3 convert baptisms in our ward. A woman and her two grandsons, age 8 and 9, were baptized. I attended as the primary representative. The two boys were baptized first and then the grandma went into the water. She has some physical disabilities and wears a brace on one leg and has little use of that leg and the arm on that side. She walks with a cane. Both of the elders went into the font with her so they could both help her go under the water. She was very fearful that she was going to fall and after the baptismal prayer had been said she asked the elders to wait and try to figure out another way for her to be submersed. She had brought the chair that she uses in the shower and they decided she could sit on it and get dunked so the chair was lowered into the font but there was a back on the chair so she couldn't lean back and she got too scared when they tried to tip the whole chair. She tried bending forward, but the water wasn't deep enough. While they kept trying all sorts of different ideas and positions to accomplish her baptism I started brainstorming an alternative type chair that could go in the font for her to sit on that didn't have a back. I was thinking and thinking and then the bishop and I started discussing possible items that could be used. I was sitting next to a sister in the ward and when the bishop went to get the step stool from the drinking fountain to use she leaned over to me and said "I'm going to say a prayer." She closed her eyes and said a quick prayer to herself and as soon as she opened her eyes the two witnesses announced "she went all the way under" and the baptism was accomplished. She ended up sitting on the font steps and then having the missionaries help her turn sideways so she could go under.
As I sat listening to the special instrumental music while we waited for everyone to get dressed I began thinking about what had just taken place. Not so much the actual baptisms but the experience of trying to find a solution to the problem that presented itself. I was quick to try to solve the problem using my own knowledge and creativity. It didn't even occur to me to pray for help or inspiration. How easy it is for me to forget where to turn in times of need. I want to "lean on my own understanding". How grateful I am to be reminded in small, simple ways that my Heavenly Father is there waiting to help me if I will only ask Him for His help. Hopefully next time I will think to pray first.

Today I am thankful for

brownies with walnuts.
worthy priesthood holders.
special events that help to unite my family.

No comments: