Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Service With a Smile

Today I spent the morning in the temple. The temple is such a happy place to be. From the time I walked in the front door until I walked out a few hours later I was greeted with smiles where ever I went. I just couldn't help but smile back.
I decided to go to the cafeteria for a bowl of soup after I finished my session. The cashier was so friendly and cheerful as she counted money and washed tables and tried to figure out how to get the trays to move on the conveyor belt that wasn't cooperating. I thought about the service that she was providing for each of us in that room - the physical service and the emotional one as well.
Then as I was walking to the front door I passed by the chapel where another volunteer was playing the organ to an empty room. Her music was being piped into the waiting room to help set a reverent mood for those individuals preparing to do a session. No one there could even see her, or acknowledge her, but she was doing her part to serve with a smile.
I started thinking about the hours of service that are given in each temple throughout the world each day. I thought of the temple workers who put there personal trials aside once or twice a week to get up before dawn and come to serve in the temple or give up their Friday or Saturday night fun to serve in the Lord's house. Then I thought of the many patrons who also give service in the temples 5 days a week. Hours and hours of service, by hundreds of individuals, all given with a smile.
When I was leaving the dressing room today I stopped at the drinking fountain for some water. As I started walking again it felt like something was brushing against my leg. I looked down and there on the ground was a man's black dress sock. Now, yesterday when I pulled my skirt out of the dryer it felt like there was a sock inside it, but I searched and searched and couldn't come up with one. I glanced around to see if anyone had noticed as I bent down and picked the sock up. One of the temple workers was watching me and said, "I was just getting ready to tell you you had dropped something." I went over to talk to her. She hadn't realized what it was that I had picked up and I told her my laundry story. Another worker was listening in and said, "One of the reasons we come to the temple - to find lost things."
As I walked out of the front doors of the temple today I once again thought of my experience there and what the temple worker had said. After a not so very good day yesterday I had lost my perspective and my smile. I could definitely say as I walked to my car that I had found both and one black sock to boot!

Today I am grateful for

smiles.
temple promises.
my Relief Society Sisters.

No comments: