Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Things we Think we Want

Tonight I actually watched an episode of "The Biggest Loser". I have followed this show for the past few seasons and there are things about it that I really like such as the amazing transformations that occur in these individuals lives. There are also things about it that I really don't like especially the back stabbing strategizing that goes on. I haven't watched much of Season 7 because it seems like I always have somewhere else I need to be on Tuesday night, but I have kept kind of updated on what is going on by checking the weekly recaps on the website. I have been pleasantly surprised that this group of people have seemed to be a kinder, gentler group than the last few. However, things apparently have reached the point where kind and gentle is replaced by mean and nasty. I am sorry to see that happen.

I also think this show teaches me some great life lessons, not necessarily about losing weight, but about making everyday choices and what I am willing to do to get what I want or what I think I want. Tonight the group was given a temptation. They all went into the gym where there were lots and lots of covered trays. Under each cover there were various items - unhealthy food, money tickets, and one special tray with a golden ticket that would give the individual that found it the only elimination vote at that week's weigh in - ultimate power. Each person could choose whether or not they played, but in order to move on once a tray was uncovered, the food had to be eaten. It was amazing to me, but not surprising, how crazy the majority of the players went with this temptation. All the self discipline and rational thinking that they have learned over the past couple of months went out the window when they were tempted with this power. They wanted to be able to say who left this week, as well as protect themselves.

Each player could only be sent home if they had the smallest amount of weight loss, and yet they were willing to put there safety in jeopardy for the chance to determine someone else's fate. I was happy when Kristin realized that no one could have power over her if she stayed above the yellow line this week and just chose to stop eating the junk. The results of this temptation were so sad to me in many ways, and perhaps the saddest was when Laura, who won the golden ticket, realized that she didn't want to have the only say in which of the two individuals who fell below the line went home. She had the power, but when it came right down to it it wasn't nearly as wonderful as she had thought it would be.

How often is this just like my life? I am going along, making good choices and trying to do what I am suppose to do, listening to my leaders who know more than I do, and even making some progress when all of the sudden temptation comes barrelling along. Boom! I see something I think I want and I forget what I have learned and the progress I have made and the counsel I have been given and I succumb to temptation. I am willing to put my ultimate goal, eternal salvation, in jeopardy so quickly, without even thinking the decision through. How long does it take me to realize how foolish I am being? Do I, like Kristin, recognize the error of my ways right away and stop or do I continue on until the thing I want is out of my reach and the guilt begins to set in or until I actually get what I wanted and only then realize that it was just a sparkly distraction that I don't even really want at all?

How important is it for me to think through my decisions? To pray when I am faced with temptation or to refer back to the counsel of my leaders? To remember what it is that I really want and the road that will get me there? To not be sidetracked by the path that might look smoother or easier, and if I am, which will probably happen, to stop and turn around as soon as I realize my mistake, before I get so lost that I end up at a totally different destination? I think it's of eternal importance. Much more important than the choices made on some reality TV show.

No comments: